Anya: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Anya
Origin of the name Anna:
Anna is a Latinate variant of the French Anne, a cognate of the Hebrew Hannah (gracious, full of grace).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Anya? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Anya
- Comments and insights on the name Anya: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Anya: | Edit
Anya is a beautiful, feminine, unusual name.
- Nicknames for Anya: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Anya: | Edit
It means Gracious and Merciful.
Its origin is Russian.
In Hungarian, anya means "mother".
- Famous real-life people named Anya: | Edit
Anya Seton Chase, historical fiction writer
- Anya in song, story & screen: | Edit
Anya Jenkins, character from TV show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Anya McPherson, character from TV show "Degrassi: TNG"
In the movie "Anastasia," the amnesiac princess Anastasia went by the name Anya.
Anya names doll, Groovy Girls