Asia Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Asia:
Borrowed from the name of the continent.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Asia? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Asia
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian)
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian), 2010
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy 2011
Contribute your knowledge to the name Asia
- Comments and insights on the name Asia: | Edit
I named my daughter, Asia, because its short, different and beautiful. I truly believe you should give a child a name to live up to and I chose hers because its unique, yet a pretty sounding word and it's memorable. When needed, she simply explains , "My name is Asia as in the Continent," so its easier for people. She is now 11 and had I known then what I know now, I would've considered spelling it, "Aja." Asia's name and her brothers name are tattooed fairly large and in script on the inside of my wrists. Just beautiful and perfect, just like my babies.
- Personal experiences with the name Asia: | Edit
I named my daughter Asia primarily because it was the only name in all of the baby books that my husband and I could agree on :) plus it looks and sounds pretty and unique. Unfortunately some people pronounce it Aysha or Aziya which really irritates me! So like the other lady who posted we say 'Asia, as in the continent'. Different meanings of the name Asia include: lively, vivacious, the rising sun, life, resurrection, eastern. Apart from the eastern bit (my daughter is blonde haired & blue eyed) she seems to fit most of those as she's a little monkey at just one and absolutely *full* of life!
- Nicknames for Asia: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Meanings and history of the name Asia: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Asia: | Edit
Asia Argento, director and actress
- Asia in song, story & screen: | Edit
My name is Asia but I'm named after the record album by Steely Dan called "Aja". The spelling was a compromise between my parents. There's also a band named "Asia".