Audrey Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Audrey:
Derived from the Old English Æđelþpryđ or Æthelthryth, a compound name composed of the elements æđel, æthel (noble) and þryđ, thryth (might, strength): hence, "noble strength." Var: Audra, Audrie, Audrina, Audry.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Audrey? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Audrey
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Audrey
- Comments and insights on the name Audrey: | Edit
I named my daughter after two actresses, Audrey Hepburn for her first name, and Gracie Allen for her middle name. Audrey Grace. I hoped that she would be as sophisticated and beautiful as Audrey Hepburn and as funny and entertaining as Gracie Allen. She is almost 6 and living up to the monikers quite well.
- Personal experiences with the name Audrey: | Edit
My 2 year old daughter's name is Audrey. She is a beautiful girl and most people comment on what a pretty name she has. It's a classic name that is coming back in style, just like the Emma's and Olivia's.
My name is Audrey Ann. I was born in the 80s and was named after my grandmother. It was a great name growing up because I didn't know any other Audreys and felt special. It's a bit strange to encounter so many little girls named Audrey today. Despite the popularity of Audrey Hepburn I am amazed at how often people get my name wrong, calling me "Audra" or "Amanda" or some other A name.
I really like the name Audrey. It sounds so beautiful, regal and sophisticated.
When I named my daughter, I wanted to give her a name of class and elegance along with strength and nobility and with Audrey meaning noble strength, it gave me what I wanted. I'll admit though, her father chose it because of the Paramount cartoon Little Audrey, and because of the character of Audrey in Atlantis: The Lost Empire, which I'm quite proud of.
- Nicknames for Audrey: | Edit
Aud, Audie, Dree-Dree, Drey, Audge,Audj, Aud-aud, Aud-wod
- Meanings and history of the name Audrey: | Edit
The name Audrey comes from Old English and means "noble strength".
- Famous real-life people named Audrey: | Edit
Audrey Meadows, American actress
Audrey Landers, American actress and singer
Audrey Long, American actress
Audrey Tautou, French actress
Audrey Niffenegger, American author
Audrey Hepburn, Dutch-American actress
Audrey Neel, American painter
Audrey Mae (b. 2006), daughter of Greg Kinnear
Audrey Elizabeth (b. 2004), daughter of Sara Evans
Audrey Clair (b. 2002), daughter of Steve Zahn
Audrey Caroline (b. 2001), daughter of Faith Hill and Tim McGraw
Audrey Middleton, Contestant on the CBS reality show Big Brother 17
- Audrey in song, story & screen: | Edit
Audrey is the name of both the female lead and the man-eating plant in the 1980's musical "Little Shop of Horrors"
Audrey is a comic character in Shakespeare's "As You Like It"
Audrey is the name of the beautiful love interest of Jack Bauer in the TV series 24
Audrey Liddell is a character in the TV series Dawson's Creek
Audrey Horne is a character in the TV series Twin Peaks
Audrey Smith is the main character in the Paramount cartoon Little Audrey
Audrey Rocio Ramirez is a character in the 2001 Disney movie Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Audrey Parker, Main Character In "Haven"