Beatrice: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Beatrice
Origin of the name Beatrice:
Derived from the Latin beatrix (she who makes happy, she who brings happiness), which is from beātus (happy, blessed).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Beatrice? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Beatrice
- Comments and insights on the name Beatrice: | Edit
Beatrice is pronounced bay-ah-TREE-chay in Italian, which is much prettier than the English pronunciation.
- Personal experiences with the name Beatrice: | Edit
my freshmen year in high school, my roommates name was beatrice! she was great! but after a while we hated each others guts but the following year (sophomore year) since we weren't rooming again we were best friends...even now going into our junior year in high school we are still best friends because we are roomed together :] she also hated being call bee-a-trice...she gets really mad...she prefers bee-trice almost like bee-rice (and we call her that sometimes.)
- Nicknames for Beatrice: | Edit
Bea, Bebe, Tricia, Trixie, Bess, Tris, Bee, Bee-Bee, Bee-Rice, Bae
Italian Nickname: Bice (BEE-Chey).
- Meanings and history of the name Beatrice: | Edit
it is a Latin word meaning joy
- Famous real-life people named Beatrice: | Edit
Beatrice "Bea" Arthur - American actress
Beatrice "Bebe" Neuwirth - American actress
Beatrice "Bea" Benaderet - American actress
Beatrice Jean Howard-Gabel (b. 2012) - daughter of Bryce Dallas Howard and Seth Gabel
Princess Beatrice of York (b. 1988) - 6th in line to the British throne, daughter to the Duke and Duchess of York, fifth grandchild to the Queen
- Beatrice in song, story & screen: | Edit
Beatrice, soul guiding Dante out of Purgatory and through Heaven in Dante's "Divine Comedy".
Beatrice in Shakespeare's play "Much Ado About Nothing".
Beatrice "Beezus" Quimby from Beverly Cleary's childrens' book series.
Beatrice Baudelaire, a character in Lemony Snicket's childrens' book series.
Beatrice Denoument, another character in Lemony Snicket's series, named after the first.
Bea is Kate Winslet's daughter in the movie "Hideous Kinky", based in Morocco.
Beatrice, the poisinous woman from Hawthorne's "Rappacini's Daughter"
Beatrice "Beadie" Russell, Port Authority police officer on The Wire (played by Amy Ryan)
Beatrice "Tris" Prior, main character/heroine in Veronia Roth's "Divergent" series
Name Lists Featuring Beatrice
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010