Beatrice: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Beatrice
Origin of the name Beatrice:
Derived from the Latin beatrix (she who makes happy, she who brings happiness), which is from beātus (happy, blessed).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Beatrice? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Beatrice
- Comments and insights on the name Beatrice: | Edit
Beatrice is pronounced bay-ah-TREE-chay in Italian. Nicknames include Bea (BAY-ah) and Trice (TREE-chay)
Was very popular in the 20th century and is coming back to popularity because old fashioned is becoming new again.
- Personal experiences with the name Beatrice: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Beatrice: | Edit
Bea, Bebe, Tricia, Trixie, Bess, Tris, Bee, Bee-Bee, Bee-Rice, Bae, Tris, Trice, Triss, Six
Italian Nickname: Bice (BEE-Chey).
- Meanings and history of the name Beatrice: | Edit
it is a Latin word meaning joy
- Famous real-life people named Beatrice: | Edit
Beatrice "Bea" Arthur - American actress
Beatrice "Bebe" Neuwirth - American actress
Beatrice "Bea" Benaderet - American actress
Beatrice Jean Howard-Gabel (b. 2012) - daughter of Bryce Dallas Howard and Seth Gabel
Princess Beatrice of York (b. 1988) - 6th in line to the British throne, daughter to the Duke and Duchess of York, fifth grandchild to the Queen
Beatrice Milly McCartney- youngest daughter of Paul McCartney
- Beatrice in song, story & screen: | Edit
Beatrice, soul guiding Dante out of Purgatory and through Heaven in Dante's "Divine Comedy".
Beatrice in Shakespeare's play "Much Ado About Nothing".
Beatrice "Beezus" Quimby from Beverly Cleary's childrens' book series.
Beatrice Baudelaire, a character in Lemony Snicket's childrens' book series.
Beatrice Denoument, another character in Lemony Snicket's series, named after the first.
Bea is Kate Winslet's daughter in the movie "Hideous Kinky", based in Morocco.
Beatrice, the poisinous woman from Hawthorne's "Rappacini's Daughter"
Beatrice "Beadie" Russell, Port Authority police officer on The Wire (played by Amy Ryan)
Beatrice "Tris" Prior, main character/heroine in Veronia Roth's "Divergent" series
Name Lists Featuring Beatrice
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010