Bella: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Bella | Girls
Origin of the name Bella:
Derived from the Latin bella (beautiful). The name is also used as a short form of any of the names containing the element bella. Var: Belle.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Bella? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Bella
- Comments and insights on the name Bella: | Edit
Note that with the popularity of Twilight, this is going to be a very popular name for the next few years. It is a beautiful name, but if you want a not so common name or don't want your daughter to be "one of the 6 Bellas" in her class all through out her school years you may want to try a less common variation of this name or just look for another name entirely.
- Personal experiences with the name Bella: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Bella: | Edit
Belle, Bells, Ella, Ell, Elly, Bellaboo, Bellaboobear, Babs
- Meanings and history of the name Bella: | Edit
From Latin, meaning "beautiful".
- Famous real-life people named Bella: | Edit
Annabella "Bella" Thorne, American child actress
Bella Abzug, American congresswoman
- Bella in song, story & screen: | Edit
"A Wedding for Bella"--movie about a lovable, elderly Italian woman named Bella who wants her daughter to marry and have a family
"Bella" Italian pop song by Jovanotti
"Earth to Bella" song by Incubus
Bella Swan, the main character in the Twilight series.
Bella Goth, a character of the Sims series of games.
Name Lists Featuring Bella
Global Popularity of the Name Bella
- #51 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #95 in Australia (Victoria)
- #122 in United States
- #154 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #163 in Canada (Alberta)