Bridgit Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Bridget:
Anglicized from of the Gaelic BrÍghid, which is believed to be derived from brÍgh (strength). The name was borne by an ancient Celtic goddess, by St. Bridget of Kildar (451? - 523), an Irish abbess and patron saint of Ireland, and by St. Birgitta (1302? - 73), a Swedish nun and founder of the Order of the Brigittines.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Bridgit
Contribute your knowledge to the name Bridgit
- Comments and insights on the name Bridgit: | Edit
Cute personally like it better than "Bridget"
- Personal experiences with the name Bridgit: | Edit
My daughter is named Bridgit she loves to sing and dance. She likes her name because although there is other "Bridgets" she is the only Bridgit. A funny joyful playful girl who loves to be around others but also enjoys "alone-time"
- Nicknames for Bridgit: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Bridgit: | Edit
Bridgit is an Irish baby girl name which means power or strength.
- Famous real-life people named Bridgit: | Edit
Bridgit Mendler - American Actress and Singer
- Bridgit in song, story & screen: | Edit