Bridgit Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Bridget:
Anglicized from of the Gaelic BrÍghid, which is believed to be derived from brÍgh (strength). The name was borne by an ancient Celtic goddess, by St. Bridget of Kildar (451? - 523), an Irish abbess and patron saint of Ireland, and by St. Birgitta (1302? - 73), a Swedish nun and founder of the Order of the Brigittines.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Bridgit? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Bridgit
Contribute your knowledge to the name Bridgit
- Comments and insights on the name Bridgit: | Edit
Cute personally like it better than "Bridget"
- Personal experiences with the name Bridgit: | Edit
My daughter is named Bridgit she loves to sing and dance. She likes her name because although there is other "Bridgets" she is the only Bridgit. A funny joyful playful girl who loves to be around others but also enjoys "alone-time"
- Nicknames for Bridgit: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Bridgit: | Edit
Bridgit is an Irish baby girl name which means power or strength.
- Famous real-life people named Bridgit: | Edit
Bridgit Mendler - American Actress and Singer
- Bridgit in song, story & screen: | Edit