Brooklyn Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Brooklyn? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Brooklyn
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia) for 2013
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia) for 2012
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta) for 2012
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan) for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Brooklyn
- Comments and insights on the name Brooklyn: | Edit
My daughter's name is Brooklyn Jean born in 2007, although I had it picked out in 2000 for our daughter we hoped to have someday! Her middle name is named after both her maternal and paternal grandmothers who ironically share the same middle name! In addition her dad's first name is John and Jean is the feminine variation of John. I love her name and she loves it too! We live in California, and the name was never popular, but the day I gave birth to Brooklyn, the other mom that shared a room with me, ironically named her daughter Brooklyn! And as the years go by, I meet more little Brooklyns...my daughter has 1 other Brooklyn in her 4th grade class, 1 in a different 4th grade class, 1 in a 3rd grade class, and one in a pre-k class, but that's it in the entire preK-6th grade school so it is more popular around her age in our area.
Whenever I hear this name, I can only think of the NYC borough, and it's not a pleasant association, which is probably why this name is very unpopular in the state of NY.Outside of NY,for those of us who aren't familier with the state.I just think of NYC.And also Brooke + Lynn=water stream and waterfall.
I think it's a pretty word, but I can't think of it as a person's name, I only think of the NYC borough.
Much better for a girl than for a boy!
I love my name. Brooke Allison (Allison being my middle name). I haven't met a lot of Brooke's in my life (I'm 17) I don't have a basic name but it's not something extremely different. Yeah some times people forget the E but not a big deal. Brookie is my nickname from some people. It's weird, I only like when certain people call me Brookie. Like my teachers call me Brooke and I wouldn't want them to call me Brookie! But close friends, family or certain people who call me Brookie are okay! I wish my parents named my Brooklyn. I think that's really nice. But my mum's middle name is Lynn. So she didn't want to name me after her. Myself and sisters aren't named after a grandparent or anyone we have our own names. So I understand the no Lynn thing but I've recently found that I like the name Brooklyn. I love being a Brooke and so should you!!
- Personal experiences with the name Brooklyn: | Edit
My name is Brooklin and I've always loved my name. It's shocking to see all the negative comments about the name, when I have been told all my life by so many different people that I have a beautiful name. I do agree with the association with New York being not so great, and I think that's why my mother chose to spell my name differently. I've never thought nor been told that my name is anything but a normal name, unique, maybe but normal.
I know a Brooklyn, she's Brooklyn Shuck a Kentucky Girl who's now in NYC for Annie! Love the name
My daughters name is Brooklyn and it suits her perfectly. I love the name Brooklyn for a girl!
- Nicknames for Brooklyn: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Brooklyn: | Edit
From the name of a borough of New York City. It was named after the Dutch town of Breukelen. By serendipity, it sounds like a combination of the established names Brooke and Lynn, which was an advantage when geographical names were still considered unusual.
- Famous real-life people named Brooklyn: | Edit
Brooklyn Decker, American supermodel and actress
Brooklyn Sudano, American actress
Brooklyn Faith Jones, one-fifth of the Jones quintuplets made famous on the TLC reality television show, Quints By Surprise. Parents are Ethan and Casey Jones. Older sister, Eliot McKenna. The rest of the quints are Britton Grace, Jack William, Lila Addison and Ryan Elizabeth.
Brooklyn "Brooke" Hyland, dancer on "Dance Moms"
Brooklyn Rose Collingsworth Blair, American gospel singer
Brooklyn McKnight, daughter of CGH mom Mindy McKnight and twin sister of Bailey, they have a YouTube channel together called BrooklynandBailey
- Brooklyn in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!