Caitlin: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Caitlin
Origin of the name Caitlin:
Borrowed from the Irish, Caitlin is a variant of CaitrÍona, the Gaelic form of Catherine (pure, unsullied). Var: Caitlyn, Catelin, Catelyn, Kaitlin, Kaitlyn, Katelin, Katelyn, Katelynn.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Caitlin? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Caitlin
- Comments and insights on the name Caitlin: | Edit
This is the traditional Irish spelling of the name, but I've encountered:
Ireland pronounced KOTCH-leen and is the Irish for Kathleen
- Personal experiences with the name Caitlin: | Edit
My name is Caitlin and I guess the only thing that sometimes annoys me is constantly running into people who tell me how "unique" my spelling of it is. Sometimes I just say "thank you" and keep moving but occasionally I inform people that Caitlin is the traditional (ie correct) way to spell it and Kaitlyn, Catelyn, Caitlyn, etc. are all variations of the original. Not that I necessarily mind the alternate spelling variations but I think more people should know that Caitlin is the original and correct spelling.
One thing I would advise parents who are thinking the name Caitlin for their daughter to think about is how commonly this name is misspelled. There are over 25 ways to spell the name and when giving your name over the phone (or introducing yourself, whatever) the chance of the other person picking the right spelling is about 10-20%.
Now I know to some this doesn't seem like such a big deal but consider having to send your college diploma back to be reprinted because the university misspelled your first name (which happened to me), friends trying to search for you on social networking sites and having to put in about 10 different spellings just to find you and having to constantly spell your name out for strangers.
My name is Caitlin and I love it! It's a popular name, but nobody ever spells it this way. I always get irritated when people ask me my name and then proceed to spell it with a K or a Y or both. I always have to correct them. I've actually just started giving up. I always have to spell out my full name because nobody ever gets my last name right either. But I don't let that get to me because I love the sense that my name is spelled the "right way" and especially that it's Irish!
- Nicknames for Caitlin: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Caitlin: | Edit
Irish Gaelic form of Kathleen, a variant of Katherine, meaning "pure".
- Famous real-life people named Caitlin: | Edit
Caitlin Davies, English-born author
Caitlin Flanagan, American writer and social critic
Caitlin MacNamara, wife of Welsh poet and writer Dylan Thomas
Caitlin Matthews, co-author with John Matthews of the Encyclopedia of Celtic Myth and Legend
Caitlin Moran, British journalist and columnist
Caitlin R. Kiernan, Irish-born dark fantasy and sci-fi author
Caitlin Cahow, American ice hockey player
Caitlin McClatchey, Scottish swimmer
Caitlyn Carruthers, American figure skater
Kaitlin Sandeno, American swimmer
Caitlin O'Riordan, Irish singer
- Caitlin in song, story & screen: | Edit
Caitlin, character in the second season of Heroes
Caitlin Atkins, character from Australian television series Neighbours
Caitlin Bree, character from 1994 movie Clerks
Caitlin Cooke, a character from the show 6teen
Caitlin Fairchild, character from the comic Gen¹³
Caitlin Pike, character from U.S. television series JAG
Caitlin Ryan, character from the Degrassi television series
Caitlin Todd, character from U.S. television series NCIS
Caitlyn Goodwin, fictional character from American dub of the Japanese anime series Ojamajo Doremi
Kaitlin Cooper, character from U.S. television series The O.C.
Caitlin Ramirez, a character from The Bold and the Beautiful
Kaitlin Joyce, character from Canadian television series and novel jPod
Catelyn Stark, a character from A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
Caitlin O'Koren, a character from the novel Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
"Caitlin's Way", short-lived Nickelodeon TV series
Name Lists Featuring Caitlin
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011