Calypso: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Calypso
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Calypso? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Calypso
- Comments and insights on the name Calypso: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Calypso: | Edit
I know this to be a boys' name.
I knew a young woman called Calypso. She's very feminine, elegant, polished and posh. I've always associated those characteristics with this name.
Having only heard this name of the sea nymph from Greek mythology, I see this name as elegant and wise. It must not be very popular; I never come across others with this name, though I think its very pretty.
- Nicknames for Calypso: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Calypso: | Edit
In Greek mythology, the nymph who fell in love with Odysseus and kept him captive on her island. The name is believed to be an adaptation of the verb meaning to cover or conceal, thus "the concealer."
- Famous real-life people named Calypso: | Edit
Ship of Jacques Cousteau
- Calypso in song, story & screen: | Edit
Calypso, the sea nymph who held Odysseus captive on her island for seven years in The Odyssey