Cara: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Cara
Origin of the name Cara:
Derived from the Latin cara (beloved) or from the Irish Gaelic cara (friend). Alternatively, Cara is used as a short form of Caroline and Charlotte.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cara? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cara
- Comments and insights on the name Cara: | Edit
I am named Cara Lynne. I was named after my grandmother Carolyn, just broken down into the first and middle names.
- Personal experiences with the name Cara: | Edit
My sister's name is Cara (the "Car" portion rhymes with "far" not "fair") I have always loved her name because it was different.
- Nicknames for Cara: | Edit
Care Care, Care bear, Vehicle-a(because the name is Car-a) :D, Carz, Caramel.
- Meanings and history of the name Cara: | Edit
In Gaelic, Cara means "friend." A traditional girls' name in Ireland.
Cara means face in Spanish.
- Famous real-life people named Cara: | Edit
Cara Gosselin, "Jon & Kate plus 8", oldest twin
Cara Dillon, Irish Folk/Pop Singer and songwriter
Cara Beth Satalino, American singer-songwriter
Cara Delevingne, British model
- Cara in song, story & screen: | Edit
In the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind, Cara is a very strong, powerful and respected woman (the name pronounced Car-a)
Cara Hunter is the main character in "The Unicorn Chronicles" book series by Bruce Coville.
Name Lists Featuring Cara
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011