Cat: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Cat | Girls
Origin of the name Catherine:
English cognate of the Greek Aikaterinē, which is derived from katharos (pure, unsullied). Catherine has remained a perennially popular name and has been borne by many saints and members of European nobility. Var: Catharine, Cathryn.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cat? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cat
- Comments and insights on the name Cat: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Cat: | Edit
My brother just named his little girl Cat.
- Nicknames for Cat: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Cat: | Edit
A nickname for Catherine, sometimes influenced by other meanings of the word cat.
- Famous real-life people named Cat: | Edit
Cat Cora, American professional chef (born Catherine Cora)
Cat Dealy, American TV personality best known for "So You Think You Can Dance".
- Cat in song, story & screen: | Edit
Cat Valentine, a teenage character from the Nick show, "Victorious"
Cat (Catherine) Ballou, the title character of a western movie, played by Jane Fonda