Cora: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Cora
Origin of the name Cora:
Derived from the Greek Korē, which is from korē (maiden). The name is borne in Roman mythology as a byname for Proserpina and in Greek mythology as a byname for Persephone.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cora? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cora
- Comments and insights on the name Cora: | Edit
The meaning of the name Cora is Heart, Maiden
We are planning to use Cora as a shortened form for Corazon, 'heart' in Spanish. The name Corazon for girls is not uncommon in the Philippines.
While a complete name unto itself, some parents who love Cora may want to use it as a short form for such names as Cordelia or Coraline.
Cora is prettier than Dora, but not as pretty as Laura.
- Personal experiences with the name Cora: | Edit
My grandmother's middle name was Cora, her first name was Nettie. Ever since she told me her middle name when I was a child, I wanted to have a daughter some day to name after her. It is such a beautiful name and not very popular. My daughter is sure to have a unique name, but not something that will be too unique that no one has ever heard of it.
My name is Cora. I like it because it is easy to say & pronounce, but is unique. I have met a few other Coras. I think it is beautiful.
- Nicknames for Cora: | Edit
Corrie, Cor, Coco, Corsa
- Meanings and history of the name Cora: | Edit
the name "Cora" is a name first made popular by American writer James Fenimore Cooper for the dark-haired heroine in "The Last of the Mohicans" (1826). A variant of the Greek Kore or Corinna, it means meaning "maiden." Kore is an alternate name for the Greek goddess Persephone.
- Famous real-life people named Cora: | Edit
Cora Skinner, American model and actress
- Cora in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Cora Munro: The main character in "Last of the Mohicans" (novel and movie)
- Cora Hind: Western Canada's first female journalist and a women's rights activist
- Cora Crawley: Countess of Grantham, character in the BBC's TV series "Downton Abbey"
- Cora Corman: Lead character in the 2007 American romantic comedy film "Music and Lyrics"
- Cora: The evil queen and mother of Regina, Snow White's mother, in the ABC TV series "Once Upon a Time"
- Cora: The Maxwell House Coffee Lady in the 1970s/1980s commercials, portrayed by Margaret Hamilton
- Corabeth Godsey: Character on the 1972-1981 TV show "The Waltons"
- "Cora Unashamed": A short story by Langston Hughes
- Cora: A main character in Sarah Dessen's book "Lock and Key"
-Cora Cross, character in UK soap Eastenders