Cyra Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Cyra:
Derived from the Greek Kyros, which might be derived from kyrios (lord). Alternatively, Kyros is used as a cognate of the Hebrew Koreish, a derivative of the Persian Kureish, which is from the ancient Kuru, a name believed to be from the Persian Khur (a name for the sun).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Cyra? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Cyra
Contribute your knowledge to the name Cyra
- Comments and insights on the name Cyra: | Edit
I have only ever heard this name pronounced as SYE-ra. Additionally, Cyra is a genus of ladybird beetles.
- Personal experiences with the name Cyra: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Cyra: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Cyra: | Edit
Cyra is the feminine form of Cyrus, which is a name of several possible origins.
- Famous real-life people named Cyra: | Edit
St. Cyra, early Irish abbess.
Cyra McFadden, American author.
- Cyra in song, story & screen: | Edit
Cyra Hafise, heroine of Bertrice Small's novel, "The Kadin"