Delilah Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Delilah:
Derived from the Hebrew delilah (delicate). Delilah was the name borne in the Bible by the mistress of Samson.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Delilah? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Delilah
Contribute your knowledge to the name Delilah
- Comments and insights on the name Delilah: | Edit
1) The name comes from the Hebrew roots meaning "delicate night".
2) The name Delilah has many meanings, in Arabic the word Lilah means Night, so Delilah has been said to mean Queen of the Night, while many Hebrew sources say it means Delicate or Hair.
3) It may also derive from Lilith, the much maligned yet powerful biblical first wife of Adam. That it would seen as treacherous and of the night reflects the rise of patriarchal interpretations of religion over that of an earthy, or night, goddess. Some of that power, though its moral nature is debated, remains an attribute of the name. Delilah was an extremely popular name with the Puritans because, although she deceived Samson, she was beautiful and clever, two prized assets.
I would like to suggest that parents not name one child Samson and another Delilah unless you really want your kids not to get along.
- Personal experiences with the name Delilah: | Edit
My name is Delilah and I've always received compliments about the beauty and rarity of my name. I do have some trouble with people spelling and pronouncing it. Also, I get lots of references to Plain White Tees and Tom Jones, and lots of cheesy pick up lines about guys being my "Samson". Ironically, I've always loved long hair on men and my husband has long gorgeous luxurious hair! The only thing I hate about being named Delilah is being called Dee or Dee Dee. I have always been called Ly or Lilah.
- Nicknames for Delilah: | Edit
Lilah, Ly, Lylee, Lily, Delee, Lala, Della
- Meanings and history of the name Delilah: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Delilah: | Edit
Delilah Rene Luke, American radio personality
Delilah Belle (b. 1998), daughter of Lisa Rinna and Harry Hamlin
Delilah del Toro (b. 2011), daughter of American socialite, reality TV star, model, and fashion designer Kimberly Stewart and Spanish-American actor Benicio del Toro
Delilah Grace Fabian (b. 2012), daughter of film, stage, and television actor Patrick Fabian
Delilah Rae (b.2014), daughter of Ashley Rae & Bryan Christopher
- Delilah in song, story & screen: | Edit
The Biblical Delilah, who took Samson's strength by cutting his hair. The second verse in "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen describes the story of Samson and Delilah.
"Hey There Delilah", a song by Plain White T's.
"Delilah", a song by Tom Jones.
Delilah nn DeDe is the daughter of Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver on the tv show The Riches.
"Delilah", a song by Florence and The Machine.
Delilah Bard, a main character in V.E. Schwab's "A Darker Shade of Magic"