Dominique: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Dominique
Origin of the name Dominique:
Bestowed upon both females and males in France, Dominique is from the Latin Dominicus (belonging to a lord), which is derived from dominus (a master, a lord).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Dominique? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Dominique
- Comments and insights on the name Dominique: | Edit
The female version of the name Dominic. They're both great names, but Dominique sounds (and looks) more French.
- Personal experiences with the name Dominique: | Edit
I love it! I think its different but in a good way.
- Nicknames for Dominique: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Dominique: | Edit
French, "Light of god" "of god"
- Famous real-life people named Dominique: | Edit
Dominique Ariane Swain (b. 1980), American actress
Dominique Margaux Dawes (b. 1976), American gymnast
Dominique Helena Moceanu (b. 1981), American gymnast
- Dominique in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dominique Francon, protagonist in Ayn Rand's novel "The Fountainhead"
Dominique Deveraux, character played by Diahann Carroll on the American TV series "Dynasty"
Dominique Weasley, daughter of Bill and Fleur Weasley in Harry Potter.