Dorit Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Dorothea:
A borrowing of the Greek Dōrothea, a compound name composed of the elements dōron (gift) and theos (God): hence, "gift of God."
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Dorit? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Dorit
Contribute your knowledge to the name Dorit
- Comments and insights on the name Dorit: | Edit
- Personal experiences with the name Dorit: | Edit
People often understand "Doris". I had been the only girl in town with this name.
- Nicknames for Dorit: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Dorit: | Edit
Dorit is a short form of Dorothea, which is of greek origin and means "Gift from God"
The nickname Dorit is Scandinavian; a separate modern Hebrew name is pronounced doh-REET.
- Famous real-life people named Dorit: | Edit
Dorit Urd Feddersen-Petersen, Scientist (Specialist for Behaviourism of Wolves and dogs), Author of serveral scientific books on this subject
Dorit Meyer, german Comedian
- Dorit in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!