Dorothy: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Dorothy
Origin of the name Dorothy:
A borrowing of the Greek Dōrothea, a compound name composed of the elements dōron (gift) and theos (God): hence, "gift of God."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Dorothy? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Dorothy
- Comments and insights on the name Dorothy: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Dorothy: | Edit
There is the most adorable little girl in my Sunday School class called Dorothy. She's three years old and I couldn't imagine her with another name, Dorothy just seems to suit her so well. :)
My Grandmother's name is Dorothy. I don't know how she feels about her name exactly but she has always collected a list of other Dorothy's and use to host a yearly "Dorothy party" and invite all of them. My husband has 2 grandma's named Dorothy and in addition to my grandma I have a great aunt. All are and were wonderful women.
My daughter is named Dorothy-Rae. She was named after he great grandmother Dorothy and he great grandfather Ray. Her great grandmother spelt her name Dorthy but we chose to go with a more traditional spelling.
My little cousin is called Dorothy May, but everyone calls her Dot.
Being named Dorothy was rough growing up - hearing nothing but, "So where's Toto?" can get old quick, and being called "Dorky" instead as a tease - but by the time I got to middle school, I appreciated being the only one not just in class, but in the whole school. My grandmother was named Dorothy and is the only other one I've known. To this day, I still get my name misspelled, though. That second "o" trips people up.
I married a Nathaniel. Funnily enough, his name means the same thing - "gift of God." I guess we're gifts to each other.
- My name is Dorothy, my Aunt's name is Dorothy, My grandmother's name is Dorothy and both my maternal and fraternal great grandmother's were named Dorothy. It's kind of a family name, I too am constantly asked "Where's Toto?" but when I was born, the movie Jerry Maguire had recently come out so everybody had thought that my parents had named me after Renee Zellweger's character. I've never really gone by a nickname, though when I was much younger my grandmother would call me Daisy, which I kind of liked as a nickname. My Aunt couldn't stand her name so she always went by her middle name. the one thing I've always thought about my name is that it would make a terrible middle name, it's not really a name that follows anything, and even if it does it doesn't really sound right. But I honestly love having it as a name, it's nice to have a name that means something a nice as "Gift of God" and personally I have a lot of family history with this name, so it's nice to share the name of so many strong women
I was named Dorothy Judy after the Wizard of Oz: Dorothy for Dorothy and Judy for the girl who played Dorothy. My mom is soo crazy about that movie! I have a dun (tannish) quarter-horse and I call him Toto.
- Nicknames for Dorothy: | Edit
Dot, Dottie, Doro, Dora, Dorie,Thy, Dorothia, Dori, Doris, D, Thyo, Dore, Dolly, Dodo
- Meanings and history of the name Dorothy: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Dorothy: | Edit
Dorothy Hamill, Olympic figure skating champion
Dorothy L. Sayers, British mystery novelist
Dorothy Day, founder of the Catholic Worker movement
Dorothy Dandridge, pioneering African-American actress
Dorothy Lamour, actress in "Road to..." movies with Bob Hope & Bing Crosby
Dorothy Kilgallen, writer, gossip columnist, game show panelist.
Dorothy West, American novelist and short story writer who was part of the Harlem Renaissance.
Dorothy Height, American civil rights and women's rights activist.
- Dorothy in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dorothy Gale, central character in the "Land of Oz" books by L. Frank Baum
Dorothy the Dinosaur, friend of The Wiggles
Dorothy Zbornak was the name of Bea Arthur's character on The Golden Girls
Dorothy, Elmo's goldfish on "Sesame Street"
Dorothy "Tootie" Ramsey, one of the main characters on the long-running 80's television series: "The Facts of Life"
Dorothy Ann, know-it-all from "The Magic School Bus" books and television show