Eliza: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Eliza
Origin of the name Eliza:
Short form of Elizabeth (God is my oath) that is now commonly bestowed as an independent given name. Eliza Dolittle was the name of the central character in George Bernard Shaw's play Pygmalion (1913), on which the popular musical and film My Fair Lady is based.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Eliza? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Eliza
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Eliza
- Comments and insights on the name Eliza: | Edit
Beautiful, Fun-loving, cute girl.
- Personal experiences with the name Eliza: | Edit
My baby girl is named Eliza. She is such a joy!
My name is Eliza, and I get plenty of compliments on it, but I have also had people say things like "You know Eliza is a really dorky name, right?" and I'm continually being called "Liza."
One of my best friends' names is Eliza. I think it is a cute, classic name. People constantly mistake her name for just "Liza", but that doesn't bother her too much.
There's an old song called "Little Liza Jane", and I didn't like the name Eliza when I was a kid. But now I like it very much, I think it's a very pretty name.
My best friends name is Eliza Rose. The name suit her so well, I love it!
- Nicknames for Eliza: | Edit
Liza, Liz, Ellie, Eli, Lizzie, Lilibet, Lizey, Lizzi, Izzy, Elzi
- Meanings and history of the name Eliza: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Eliza: | Edit
Eliza Dushku - American actress
Eliza Snow - Mormon poet and wife to Joseph Smith and Brigham Young (Mormon leaders)
- Eliza in song, story & screen: | Edit
Eliza Doolittle, character in "My Fair Lady"
Eliza Thornberry, character in "The Wild Thornberries"
Eliza, heroine of classic novel "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Elizabeth Bennett, heroine of "Pride and Prejudice" went by Eliza to friends and neighbors