Elizabeth: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Elizabeth
Origin of the name Elizabeth:
Derived from the Hebrew elīsheba' (God is my oath). The name is borne in the Bible by a kinswoman of the Virgin Mary and mother of John the Baptist.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Elizabeth? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elizabeth
- Comments and insights on the name Elizabeth: | Edit
My name is Elizabeth Paige and I'm smart, pretty, athletic, and love to be social.
My name is Elizabeth Rebecca Sue. I am a spiritual person, so the Biblical connections suit me. The only problem I have is that my grandfather nicknamed me Becky as an infant and it stuck. I have a lot of people ask me how they got Becky out of Elizabeth (until they learn that I go by my middle name). I had a very long last name so writing my entire legal name can be tedious. My mother's maiden name was Taylor. She is the same age as Elizabeth Taylor and could have been her twin, so she insisted my name be Elizabeth. Dad insisted on Rebecca Sue. I chose a name for my daughter that she goes by and is not difficult for her. She is named Alisa Ann.
I currently know two people named Elizabeth. One is nice, the other not so much. It's funny, whenever I hear the name I think of one or the other, but I never think of them both at the same time. Whenever I do, the name seems weird. lol
- Personal experiences with the name Elizabeth: | Edit
My name is Elizabeth, and while I go by Beth, I've always appreciated having such a beautiful, professional-sounding name like Elizabeth. It looks great on resumes, job applications, etc.
The Elizabeth I know is really narcissistic and mean and judgemental, she calls herself Beth, so both of these names are ruined for me. Though she is very smart and so is the only other Elizabeth I know, so maybe being smart goes with Elizabeth.
My friend is called Elizabeth and she absolutely hates it so everyone knows her as Beth.
My name is Elizabeth. When I was a kid, I kind of hated it. Mostly because everyone I knew would say, "Your name is Elizabeth? That's my middle name!" Because apparently, Elizabeth sounds good with pretty much every other girl name. But I've grown into it, I think. I'm working on my PhD so I guess I'm pretty smart. And also maternal. Lots of people tell me I'm very motherly. In college, my nickname was Mommy Bird. I've never gone by a nickname, really. My full name is Elizabeth Joanne and sometimes my aunt calls me Eliza Jo to be funny. My parents call me Little Bit or LB when it's just the family around. I had a boyfriend in high school who called me "Liz," but when we broke up, I pretty much forbid people to call me that. My husband calls me "Ellie" sometimes but I still introduce myself as Elizabeth. I am a person of faith and I like the spiritual associations of my name, as well.
We named our daughter Elizabeth 21 years ago, mainly because of the many, many nicknames associated with the name. However, none of them seemed to fit, and to this day she insists on being called by her full name. She gets very frustrated and annoyed when people presume to call her Liz, Lizzy, or Beth.
My name is Elizabeth. I am creative, strong, and very happy with my name.
i like my name-Elizabeth. it's normal enough and a bunch of great people have shared my name and it makes me feel like i have some sort of connection with them.
I have a best friend named Elizabeth.She has been through many hard times with me.I have known her forever. I have never met an Elizabeth I haven't liked.
My name is Elizabeth, and I love it. It's charming and sweet. My ma and pa call me Elf/Elfie because when I was little my pointy ears were to big for my head and used to stick out. Fortunately now the rest of me has grown to catch up with the size of my ears, and they don't stick out half as bad. Most of the time now though I go by Elizabeth as it's truly beautiful.
My friend's name is Elizabeth and we just call her Elizabeth (or maybe Lizbeth). Her full name suits her much better than any nickname. I love it's historical value and how versatile it is!
My name is Elizabeth. I adore this being my name because it is smart and professional, but has many casual and equally pretty nicknames available. I used to go by Lizzie when up until I was 12 and now I'm just Liz to my friends. But at school, work and any other place I need to be professional I am Elizabeth. My mother also calls me Beth, and my father Ellie, but I don't like them as much. I have also only met one Elizabeth my age, so it is definitely not very common (at least not in my area), but never once have I been asked how to spell or pronounce it. The only downfall is that I always gets comments about it being someone's middle name, but I don't mind too much. I believe it is a very versatile name in that sense-it works well as both a first and middle name! I feel my parents were right to call me Elizabeth, it is a beautiful name that I love having!
- Nicknames for Elizabeth: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Elizabeth: | Edit
Elizabeth was the mother of John the Baptist, In Luke 1:36 it says 'Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. 37For nothing is impossible with God."'
- Famous real-life people named Elizabeth: | Edit
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother
Elizabeth Banks, American actress
Elizabeth Enright, American children's author
Elizabeth Stamatina "Tina" Fey, American actress and comedian
Elizabeth Gaskell, English novelist
Elizabeth Gilbert, American novelist
Elizabeth Gillies, American actress/singer
Elizabeth Grant (stage name Lana Del Rey), American singer/songwriter
Elizabeth "Lzzy" Hale, American singer/songwriter, frontwoman of Pennsylvania rock band Halestorm
Elizabeth Hurley, English actress
Elizabeth McGovern, American actress
Elizabeth Mitchell, American actress
Elizabeth Montgomory, American actress
Elizabeth Olsen, American actress
Elizabeth Perkins, American actress
Elisabeth Shue, American actress
Elizabeth Taylor, American actress
- Elizabeth in song, story & screen: | Edit
Elizabeth Wakefield, Sweet Valley Series
Elizabeth Bennett, character in "Pride and Prejudice"
Elizabeth "Beth" March, character in "Little Women"
Elizabeth Swann, character in "The Pirates of the Carribean" trilogy
Elizabeth Walton, character in the 1970s television show "The Waltons"
"Elizabeth", Statler Brothers 1982
"Elizabeth Gone", a poem by Anne Sexton about her mother
Elizabeth Montgomery, a character in the 2000's television show, "Reba"
"Goodnight, Elizabeth", by the Counting Crows
Elizabeth Ethel Cordelia Midford is a character in the Japanese anime "Black Butler" or "Kuroshitsuji"
Liz Lemon from 30 Rock
Name Lists Featuring Elizabeth
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010