Elke Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Elke? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Elke
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elke
- Comments and insights on the name Elke: | Edit
I am Elke. As a kid, I wasn't crazy about the name (no stickers or mugs), but I have come to love the individuality. My name is a conversation starter; people usually have something positive to say about it. I introduce myself as "EL-kee", but love meeting Europeans who pronounce it correctly (as above). The downside, according to my husband, is that I always have to spell it for people, but it's 4 letters...and I've been doing it all my life so it's really not a big deal to me.
- Personal experiences with the name Elke: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Elke: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Elke: | Edit
Elke is a Frisian variation of a short form of Adelheid (Adelaide in English).
Adelheid → Adelke → Elke
- Famous real-life people named Elke: | Edit
Elke Sommer, German actress
Elke Martens, German singer and actress
- Elke in song, story & screen: | Edit
Elke is a minor character in "Faux Pas De Deux", an episode of Dance Academy