Ella: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Ella | Girls
Origin of the name Ella:
Brought to England by the Normans, Ella originated as a short form of any of the various names containing the Germanic element ali (foreign, other). Alternatively, Ella is now taken as a variant of Ellen (light).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Ella? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ella
- Comments and insights on the name Ella: | Edit
Ella can be a nickname for the popular name, Isabella, and similar names such as Gabriella, Rafaella, Arabella or Eleanor.
The name Ella is #8 on the list of top 100 cool baby girl names in the baby name book "Cool Names" by Pamela Redmond Satran and Linda Rosenkrantz.
- Personal experiences with the name Ella: | Edit
My name is Ella. I am 20 years old and when I was born it was a very unique name. All my life I heard "Oh, what a beautiful name! You have a very smart mother!" I still get compliments on my name but it is admittedly frustrating that it has become so popular. I love my name and I am very thankful to my mother who didn't even once consider another name for me. Apparently I just "felt" like an Ella Louise when she found out she was pregnant.
My name is Ella. I'm almost 16, and the only other person that I know who is an Ella is my great-grandmother. Ella is not a common name for anyone my age, therefore, I do believe it is a unique name. I love the name I have, and I get compliments on how pretty it is. This is definitely a great name for your daughter (:
My name is Ella. I'm 22 and so far, I've only met 1 other girl with the name Ella. Other people have Ella as a nickname, but their real name is either Stella or Isabella or Shella.. I think if you want your daughter(s) to be called Ella, just named them Ella in the first place!! So I don't get annoying question like "is Ella your REAL REAL name?". Ella is a great name. I always get told how my name makes me seems like a sweet person. No one with the name Ella will be a bad person. Just watch Enchanted :)
We chose Ella for our oldest daughter's middle name after my great-grandmother. At the time (2005), it was not a trendy or popular name in the United States - though it has since risen considerably in popularity.
My name is Ella! I am a sillyfish! lol at my parents! haha
- Nicknames for Ella: | Edit
Ellie, Ella Bella, Elsa, Ells, El, Elsie, Nell, Nellie, Sillyhead!
- Meanings and history of the name Ella: | Edit
Of Germanic origin. Derived from (name) prefix "alia-" meaning 'alien/other'. It can also be a short form of Elizabeth, meaning "covenant with God", or Eleanor/Ellen, meaning "light". Elfin or beautiful fairy woman.
It can also mean "silly fish" depending on where they are from, (this is common in Austria)
The word ella is the spanish word for 'she' and is pronounced like ay-yuh.
In Hebrew Ella אלה has two meanings. 1) A tree indigenous to the middle east, Pistacia Terebinth, from the pistaccio family. As written in Isiah 6-13: And though a tenth remains in the land, it will again be laid waste. But as the terebinth and oak leave stumps when they are cut down, so the holy seed will be the stump in the land." 2) Ella means goddess in modern Hebrew.
Ella इला means earth in Sanskrit
- Famous real-life people named Ella: | Edit
Ella Jane Fitzgerald, American singer
Ella Josephine Baker, American civil rights leader
Ella Corrinne Beatty (b. 2000), daughter of Warren Beatty and Annette Bening
Ella Betsi Gruffudd (b. 2009), daughter of Alice Evans and Ioan Gruffudd
Ella Sofia Gordon (b. 2007), daughter of Jeff Gordon and Ingrid Vandebosch
Ella Kole Moore (b. 2010), daughter of Kate and Justin Moore
Ella Alexander Rodriguez (b. 2008), daughter of Alex Rodriguez and Cynthia Scurtis
Ella Bailey Saucedo (b. 2004), daughter of Rebecca Herbst and Michael Saucedo
Ella Olivia Stiller (b. 2002), daughter of Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor
Ella Bleu Travolta (b. 2000), daughter of John Travolta and Kelly Preston
Ella Rae Wahlberg (b. 2003), daughter of Mark Wahlberg and Rhea Durham
- Ella in song, story & screen: | Edit
Ella, character in "Ella Enchanted"
In the story "Cinderella", the girl's real name is Ella, she is called Cinderella because of the ashes and soot she gets on herself while cleaning.
Name Lists Featuring Ella
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Ireland
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Ella
- #3 in New Zealand
- #4 in Sweden
- #6 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #8 in Ireland
- #9 in Australia (Victoria)
- #9 in England
- #9 in Wales
- #10 in Canada (Ontario)
- #11 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #11 in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- #13 in Canada (Alberta)
- #19 in Northern Ireland
- #19 in United States
- #32 in Norway
- #33 in Belgium
- #47 in Scotland
- #49 in Denmark
- #194 in Canada (Quebec)