Ellen: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Ellen
Origin of the name Ellen:
Originally a variant form of Helen, Ellen is now also commonly used as a variant of Eleanor. Both names, however, are ultimately derived from the same Grrek root ēlē (light, torch, bright).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Ellen? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ellen
- Comments and insights on the name Ellen: | Edit
I've found that it's one of the few names that can be spelled with three letters. Those letters are: E L N!
Makes it very useful when I use www.Twitter.com!
I love the elegance in the name Ellen. It is also my mother's middle name. Her first is Elizabeth, and that is my middle, so I would like to carry the tradition, however my favorite girls name ends in -TH, and with Elizabeth it sounds funny. I think Ellen is a beautiful alternative.
- Personal experiences with the name Ellen: | Edit
What can I say? Kids are cruel sometimes. All in all, I have loved my name.
My name is Ellen. The first thing a lot of peopple to say to me is: "Your name's Ellen? Are you a lesbian like Ellen DeGeneres?" When I switched to a new school, it was the first thing i heard from atleast 10 kids. I have nothing against her, but it gets really annoying that that is what people always think.
My friend's name is Ellen!
- Nicknames for Ellen: | Edit
Ellie, Elle, Nell, Nelle, Ella, Elser, Elson, Elmo, Elsonian
- Meanings and history of the name Ellen: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Ellen: | Edit
Ellen Glasgow, American writer
Ellen Gould White, nineteenth century American religious leader
Ellen Herndon Arthur, First Lady and wife of Chester Alan Arthur
Ellen Axson Wilson, First Lady and wife of Woodrow Wilson
Ellen Raskin, author
Ellen Burstyn, actress
Ellen Barkin, actress
Ellen Foley, actress
Ellen Green, actress
Dame Ellen McArthur, yachtswoman
Ellen DeGeneres, actress and talk show host
Ellen Pompeo, actress
Ellen Page, actress
Ellen Muth, actress
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia and Nobel Prize Laureate.
- Ellen in song, story & screen: | Edit
Ellen Ripley, the hero from the Alien film series
"Countess Ellen Olenska", Edith Wharton's memorable character from "The Age of Innocence"
Ellen Dolan, the love interest in Will Eisner's Spirit (comic strip)
Ellen O'Hara, Scarlett's mother in "Gone with the Wind"
Ellen Harvelle, (Samantha Ferris) from CW's 'Supernatural', mother of Joanna Harvelle
Ellen Carrol, character in Robert C. O'Brien's "The Silver Crown"
Ellen Tibbets, a character in a book by Beverly Cleary, who wrote the Beezus and Ramona books
Name Lists Featuring Ellen
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Armenian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Armenia, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010