Elloise Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Eloise:
Of uncertain origin and meaning, some believe it is from the Germanic Helewidis, a compound name composed of the elements haila (hale, hearty, sound) and vid (wide). Others believe it is a feminine form of Louis, which is from the Old High German Hluodowig (famous in war), a compound name composed from the elements hluod (famous) and wīga (war): hence, "famous in war." The name was borne by the wife (d. 1164) of French theologian Peter Abelard (1079 - 1142) whose secret marriage was avenged by Eloise's uncle in the manner of Abelard being beaten and castrated. He became a monk and Eloise became an abbess of a nunnery.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Elloise? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Elloise
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elloise
- Comments and insights on the name Elloise: | Edit
- Personal experiences with the name Elloise: | Edit
Friend of mine's name
- Nicknames for Elloise: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Meanings and history of the name Elloise: | Edit
It is french
- Famous real-life people named Elloise: | Edit
None that I know of
- Elloise in song, story & screen: | Edit
None that I know