Elphaba Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Elphaba? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Elphaba
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elphaba
- Comments and insights on the name Elphaba: | Edit
it's pronounced El-fa-ba....
- Personal experiences with the name Elphaba: | Edit
I read the book "Wicked" and adore the musical. Go read it and tell me you don't love this name!
- Nicknames for Elphaba: | Edit
Elphie, Fabala, Fae
- Meanings and history of the name Elphaba: | Edit
The name was created by author Gregory Maguire for his novel "Wicked" (later a hit Broadway Musical) and was based upon the initials of L. Frank Baum, the author of "The Wizard of Oz," from which "Wicked" was born. The initals "L.F.B." each gave one syllable to the name: El-pha-ba. So to all you who were thinking that this is just a nonsense name, no, it is not.
- Famous real-life people named Elphaba: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Elphaba in song, story & screen: | Edit
Elphaba Thropp (Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West)