Elsa: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Elsa
Origin of the name Elsa:
Originally a pet form of Elizabeth, Elsa is now in common use as an independent given name and was popularized as the name of the affectionate lioness in the book and film Born Free.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Elsa? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Elsa
- Comments and insights on the name Elsa: | Edit
Elsa is a girls name predominantly seen in Germany, Sweden and England, and is derived from the classic name 'Elisabeth'. The name was first popularised among English speakers by Wagner's romantic opera Lohengrin (1848), in which it appeared as the name of the heroine.
- Personal experiences with the name Elsa: | Edit
I named my baby girl Elsa, and while many people are very complimentary of the name (usually old ladies who recognise the name and new parents who think I made it up), others find the name hard to say and remember. I am completely happy with the name however, my little Elsa will own it just like she owns her Mummy and Daddy!
My name is Elsa, and though I love it, I am often called Elsie, Elyse, Alissa, or Lisa by people who are reading my name for the first time or just can't remember it. I have spent half my life correcting people even though it is only four letters and spelled phonetically! Go figure!
My husband's mother was named Elsie; if we ever have a daughter, I'd definitely consider Elsa as a tribute. With Elsie as a nickname.
- Nicknames for Elsa: | Edit
Elsie, Ellie, Elly, Els (pronounced Ehls)
- Meanings and history of the name Elsa: | Edit
Form of Elisabeth
Origin: German (Teutonic)
Meaning: consecrated to God, noble
Meaning: God's promise; God is my oath; joyful
In addition, Elsa is a derivative (English, Scandinavian, and Spanish) of the Czech, English, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, and Scandinavian name Alice.
- Famous real-life people named Elsa: | Edit
Elsa Garcia, singer and Tejano music producer
Elsa Peretti, jewelry designer with a well-received line sold by Tiffany & Co.
Elsa Pataky, Spanish actress who made her American film debut in Snakes in a Plane.
Elsa Morante, Italian novelist
Elsa Schiaparelli, Italian fashion designer.
Elsa Lanchester, English-American actress, best known for portraying the bride in Bride of Frankenstein.
- Elsa in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dr. Elsa Schneider, baddie in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Elsa the lioness, subject of the book and film Born Free.
Elsa is a main character in the book "The Captain's Bride" by Lisa Tawn Bergren.
Elsa, from the Jacqueline Wilson novel for young readers, "The Bed and Breakfast Star".
Elsa the Snow Queen from Disney's Frozen (2013)
Name Lists Featuring Elsa
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010