Erika Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Erika:
Feminine form of Erik, which is derived from the Old Norse Eirìkr (eternal ruler), a compounding of the elements ei (ever, always) and ríkr (ruler, king). However, there are some who believe the name comes to the Old Norse via the Germanic ehrei (honor) and the Proto-Germanic rīk (king): hence, "honorable king."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Erika? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Erika
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal 2012
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Erika
- Comments and insights on the name Erika: | Edit
Erika, Keira and Kiera are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Erika: | Edit
"Is that spelt CK or just C?"
Most people will spell your name wrong. However, not everyone will. One of my classmates spelled right w/o my correction. I told him most people spell it the other way & he said "but there's only one way to spell Erika and that's with a K." (we are best friends now BTW).
Usual nicknames are Rikki & Eri (air-y) or Eureka!
When you spell it with a "k," no one will EVER spell it correctly the first time. But that makes me like it more.
One of my bestfriends names is Erika. We couldnt find a nickname for her so we made our own. Now we call her Eurk or Eurka ( er-k, er-ka).
- Nicknames for Erika: | Edit
Eri (air-y), Erki, Rikki, Eurk, Eurka,Eureka
- Meanings and history of the name Erika: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Erika: | Edit
Erika Christensen, actress
Erika Eleniak, actress
Erika Harold, Miss America 2003
- Erika in song, story & screen: | Edit
Mambo Number 5 By Lou Bega
Erika, the "pauper" in the Barbie movie "The Princess and Pauper"
Erika, the lady love of Tosho Daimos of the popular Japanese anime television series "Daimos"
Erika, Celadon Gym Leader in Pokemon.