Ethna: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Ethna
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Ethna? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ethna
- Comments and insights on the name Ethna: | Edit
This is quite an old Irish name, it can sometimes be anglicised as Edna or Anya although the anglicisations are not connected to the name. The name Eithne is pronounced as Enya in County Donegal, hence the pronunciation of singer Eithne (Enya's) Ní Bhraonáin's name.
- Personal experiences with the name Ethna: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Ethna: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Ethna: | Edit
Eithne (earlier Ethniu, Ethliu, Ethlinn and a variety of other spellings) is a popular Irish female name meaning 'little fire' or 'kernel'.
- Famous real-life people named Ethna: | Edit
Eithne, daughter of the king of Alba, wife of the High King Fiacha Finnfolaidh and mother of Tuathal Teachtmhar
Eithne, the mother of Saint Columba
Enya (Eithne Ní Bhraonáin), musician
Eithne Fitzgerald, Irish politician
Ethna Viney, writer.
- Ethna in song, story & screen: | Edit
Ethniu, daughter of Balor and mother of Lug in Irish mythology.