Eva: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Eva | Girls
Origin of the name Eva:
Derived from the Hebrew Chava (life), which is from hawwah (life).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Eva? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Eva
- Comments and insights on the name Eva: | Edit
The Spanish pronunciation is EH-vah
- Personal experiences with the name Eva: | Edit
I really like this name, but I pronounce it "AY-va" (the first syllable being pronounced as the letter 'A'). I never understood what was so great about the name "Ava", but I think Eva is a good alternative.
I know an Eva, and she is the one of the nicest people I have ever met. She is smart, pretty, and always very caring. She loves her name because, "It is short and sweet." The only thing she doesn't like is how some people say "EE-va" instead of "eh-va" But besides that, Eva is a superb name choice.
I love this name. I came to name my daughter Eva by meeting a young girl from Timbuktu-Mali in China. We had been together on the same excursion to Mongolia and I met her mother who was half Mongolian - crazy but so beautiful. I cannot express how taken I and everyone was of this girl, such grace, such beauty. I kept asking myself how to keep the presence of this girl and I fell pregnant fours years later and this was how. I love that my daughter is called Eva. She reminds of that Eva. Really 'life'
I am an Eva but it's pronunced "Eh-vah" as in the word ever? It is pretty strange but I couldn't imagine being called "ee-vah", its kind of old fashioned. I have to put up with correcting teachers and people I meet and a bit of teasing, but other wise I quite like it.
Our daughter Eva [pronounced EEVA) is in kindergarten and is constantly being called Ava!!
My name is Eva (ee-va) and I have never really liked it...not sure why. I am constantly called Ava and Eh-va, by EVERYONE, even my friends, and can't understand why. I have only met one other Eva in my life. Once, when I was talking to a boy, I said, "My name is Eva," and he said, "What is that short for?" The other kids in my class at school used to say the only reason I was finishing my work before them was because it took me half a second to write my name!
- Nicknames for Eva: | Edit
Evie, Evita, Aoífe (pron EE-fah; Irish cognate), Eve, Ee, and just plain old Ev
- Meanings and history of the name Eva: | Edit
From Hebrew, meaning "life". In the Old Testament, Eva/Eve was the first woman, and was given this name because she was "the mother of all living". Eva is the form of the name used in most languages; Eve is the English and French form.
- Famous real-life people named Eva: | Edit
Eva Longoria, American actress
Eva Mendes, American actress
Eva Gabor, American socialite and actress
Eva Hesse, American sculptor
- Eva in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Evita", musical based on Eva Peron
"Deliver Us From Eva", 2003 movie starring Gabrielle Union in the title role
Name Lists Featuring Eva
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Ireland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
- Armenian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Armenia
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Eva
- #3 in Slovenia
- #5 in Iceland
- #6 in Netherlands
- #10 in Northern Ireland
- #16 in Scotland
- #18 in Belgium
- #33 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #38 in Australia (Victoria)
- #40 in Czech Republic
- #43 in Spain
- #44 in Austria
- #45 in Ireland
- #52 in England
- #54 in Canada (Quebec)
- #58 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #71 in Canada (Alberta)
- #74 in Germany
- #84 in Hungary
- #90 in Norway
- #114 in United States