Eve: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Eve | Girls
Origin of the name Eve:
Derived from the Hebrew Chava (life), which is from hawwah (life). The name is borne in the Bible by the first woman, "the mother of all the living."
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Eve? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Eve
- Comments and insights on the name Eve: | Edit
I once knew a family that had three children -- a girl, a boy, and then another girl. They named the elder daughter Dawn, to signify she was the beginning of their family, and the younger girl Eve, to indicate she was to be their last child. I don't remember what the boy was named!
- Personal experiences with the name Eve: | Edit
We just named our baby Eve Josephine August, 2010 (U.S.) and have been calling her Evie. I hadn't realized how popular the name Evie is in the UK! We love her name and get many compliments. I was worried about the Adam and Eve association, but I am over that now. We just liked the name, simple and lovely.
- Nicknames for Eve: | Edit
Evie, Weevil, Evil, Evelyn, Eva
- Meanings and history of the name Eve: | Edit
The story of Adam and Eve.
For people who are looking for the Halloween association, All Hallows Eve.
- Famous real-life people named Eve: | Edit
Eve Arden, American actress
Eve Plumb, American actress
Eve Ensler, American playwright and performer
Eve, American rapper and hip-hop artist
Eve Myles, Welsh actress
Eve Bunting, American poet
Eve Augusta Gavigan (born 2010), daughter of Jessica Capshaw and Christopher Gavigan
- Eve in song, story & screen: | Edit
Eve Harrington, the title deceitful title character in the classic film drama All About Eve
Eve is the sleek, futuristic robotic love-interest in the film Wall-E
"The Three Faces of Eve", title of a book and subsequent film starring Joanne Woodward.
Eve, the first woman, from the Bible
Eve, Mother of All Monsters, in CW's "Supenatural", an antogonist played by Julia Maxwell
E.V.E - or Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator, is the name of the love interest for WALL-E the main character in the Pixar movie. WALL-E pronounced it Ee-vah.
Name Lists Featuring Eve
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Eve
- #33 in Canada (Quebec)
- #41 in Scotland
- #57 in Ireland
- #68 in Australia (Victoria)
- #76 in England
- #326 in Canada (Alberta)
- #655 in United States