Fleur Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Fleur:
Derived from the Old French fleur (flower). Its use as a name in England began in the Middle Ages. It is rarely used as a given name in Franch, which prefers the names of saints and martyrs.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Fleur? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Fleur
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2014
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands 2014
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2012
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands 2012
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
Contribute your knowledge to the name Fleur
- Comments and insights on the name Fleur: | Edit
Used occasionally in Angevin England.
83 Fleurs born in England/Wales in 2007.
I think Fleur would be a beautiful name for a baby girl. It's not popular, she would be the only one in her class, but it's beautiful and there is nothing about it to make fun of. A good name for a little girl and a mature woman.
I really like Fleur. It's a beautiful name.
I like it too, and I like adding the syllable "ette" to it - FLEURETTE. Absolutely stunning!
I love it too, but my husband thinks it's weird, and he goes for names that are more common.
Well your husband stinks because Fleur is the most beautiful name ever!
- Personal experiences with the name Fleur: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Fleur: | Edit
Fleurette, Fleurance, Fleurrie, Florrie.
- Meanings and history of the name Fleur: | Edit
From French, meaning "flower".
- Famous real-life people named Fleur: | Edit
St. Fleur/Flora of Beaulieu
Fleur de Rhé-Philipe, English politician
Fleur Adock, New Zealand poet and Queen's Medal recipient
Fleur Saville, New Zealand actress
Fleur Cowles, American journalist, magazine editor, and artist (born Florence Friedman)
Fleur East, singer, dancer and rapper
- Fleur in song, story & screen: | Edit
Fleur Delacour, character in the "Harry Potter" novels. Her name translates as "flower of the court". First seen in The Goblet Of Fire.
Fleur Forsythe, daughter of Soames Forsythe and his French wife Annette in the classic novel "The Forsythe Saga". She gets her name when her mother, seeing her soon after birth, says, "Ma petite fleur!" ("My little flower!").
Fleur Lyttelton, character in the "Virgin Bought and paid for" novel by Robyn Donald.Beautiful sophisticated and eloquent young woman.