Freya: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Freya
Origin of the name Freya:
Feminine form of Frey (lord, he who is foremost), Freya has the definition "lady, mistress, noblewoman." In Norse mythology, Freya was the goddess of fertility. A daughter of Njord and a sister of Frey, Freya was the most beautiful of the goddesses. She owned the Necklace of the Brísings, the Brísingamen.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Freya? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Freya
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales (2013)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
Contribute your knowledge to the name Freya
- Comments and insights on the name Freya: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Freya: | Edit
Overly popular in England and now in the States; overused.
Agree that it's overly popular in England, but it hasn't fully jumped the pond in my opinion. Would be a unique name in the States.
- Nicknames for Freya: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Meanings and history of the name Freya: | Edit
The name may more formally be pronounced FRY-a. but commonly the anglicised FRAY-a
Norse goddess associated with love, beauty, destiny, fertility, war and death
Scandinavian variations include Frøja, Freja, and Freyja
- Famous real-life people named Freya: | Edit
Dame Freya Madeline Stark
British explorer and travel writer
Wrote more than two dozen books on her travels in the Middle East and Afghanistan, as well as several autobiographic works and essays. One of the first non-Arabians to travel through the southern Arabian deserts.
Freya Van den Bossche
A Belgian, Flemish politician and daughter of prominent former Belgian politician Luc Van den Bossche. She was the youngest ever minister appointed in Belgium.
A British writer, active since 1996, and one of the precursors of Chick-lit. Her novels, which have been critical and financial successes, centre around strong female characters and their raunchy exploits.
Freya Christine Clausen
A Danish singer/songwriter and television personality, based in Copenhagen. Also known by her mononym Freya.
A Scottish long-distance runner who represented Scotland in the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
- Freya in song, story & screen: | Edit
Freya (song), a song by doom metal band The Sword from their 2006 debut album Age of Winters
Freya (band), a metal/hardcore band from Syracuse, NY
Freya (video game character) in Final Fantasy IX