Gail: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Gail
Origin of the name Gail:
Originally a short form of the biblical Abigail (father of exaltation), it is now commonly used as an independent given name.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Gail? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Gail
- Comments and insights on the name Gail: | Edit
My grandmother's name is Gail Ann and I've always really liked it, probably because it's her name. It's not short for Abigail. We call her Gigi.
- Personal experiences with the name Gail: | Edit
My name is Gail Ann. I have always liked it because it is uncommon. Not many people are called Gail.
- Nicknames for Gail: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Gail: | Edit
From Hebrew; short form of Abigail, meaning "father's joy".
- Famous real-life people named Gail: | Edit
Gail Carson Levine, American author
Gail Simone, American comic book writer
Gail Russell, American actress
Gail Porter, Scottish television presenter
Gail Sheehy, American author
- Gail in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!