Georgia Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Georgia:
Latinate feminine form of George, which is ultimately derived from the Greek geōrgos (husbandman, earthworker, farmer).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Georgia? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Georgia
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
Contribute your knowledge to the name Georgia
- Comments and insights on the name Georgia: | Edit
The feminine form of George
Country singer Zack Brown and his wife recently named their baby Georgia. Sweet Georgia Brown. Aww. I think It's a really beautiful southern name which I would use if I had roots in the south, too bad I was born in New Jersey.
Georgia may be used today to honor either the U.S. state of Georgia, or the country of Georgia (previously a part of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics). The latter's history can be traced back to the ancient kingdoms of Colchis and Iberia, and it was also one of the first countries to adopt Christianity as an official religion.
Georgia (along with George) is a very common name among Greek-speaking people.
- Personal experiences with the name Georgia: | Edit
When I was in college, the girl in the dorm room next to mine was named Georgia. When the clock turned midnight on her 21st birthday, her boyfriend decided to blast every song with the word/name "Georgia" in it. I was okay with "Georgia on My Mind," then "Why, Georgia, Why?," then "Midnight Train to Georgia," but, oh my God, do you realize how many songs there are with the word "Georgia" in them? I had no idea. The ordeal went on for half an hour. It was an incredibly annoying night.
In my grade there are 2 Georgia's, and I know a lot of other Georgia's, it is a very common name.
My name is Georgia, and I'm 30 years old. To date, I have only met 7 other people with this name my entire life. I grew up in New England, where the name is quite rare. I've always loved it. It's old fashioned and feminine, but still a very strong, bold name. I was named after the British singer, Georgia Brown.
Hi! My name is Georgia!! I am 13 years old :) I was looking for baby names for a school project and so I thought I should look up my name. I live in Florida and there aren't many Georgia's here: I'm the only one in my school. I like my name, I would never change it. I'm named after my grandfather George. He has passed but my mom says I look a lot like him, and I do. So if you're looking for a good baby name, you've found one, along with Eliza, Caroline or Harrison. Those are my siblings names!! ;P
My name is Georgia. My sisters names are Chloe and Sophia. My middle name is Elizabeth. My mom named me Georgia because she liked it. I'm 11, by the way.
- Nicknames for Georgia: | Edit
Georgie, Gia, Gigi, Gi, George, Jojo,
- Meanings and history of the name Georgia: | Edit
Georgia is the feminine form of the male name George, and means "farmer" or "worker of the earth". There are other feminine forms, such as Georgina, Georgiana, and Georgette, but Georgia remains the most popular.
- Famous real-life people named Georgia: | Edit
St. Georgia of Clermont, nun and anchoress
Georgia O'Keeffe, American painter
Georgia Engel, American actress best known for her role as Georgette on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" in the 1970s.
Georgia Douglas Johnson, American poet of the Harlem Renaissance
Georgia Carroll, American singer and actress
Georgia Kokloni, Greek sprinter
Daughter of Harrison Ford
Daughter of Harry Connick Jr.
Daughter of Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall
- Georgia in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Georgia on My Mind", a 1930 ballad popularized by Ray Charles and the official state song of Georgia.
"Why Georgia" by John Mayer
"Rainy Night in Georgia" is a song written by Tony Joe White in 1962 and popularized by R&B vocalist Brook Benton in 1970.
"Georgia Rain" by Joshua Kadison
"Georgia, Take me to the Sea" By Jaguar Love.
"Midnight Train to Georgia" by Jim Weatherly and popularized by Gladys Knight & the Pips in 1973.
"Sweet Georgia Brown" is a jazz standard written in 1925 by Ben Bernie & Maceo Pinkard (music) and Kenneth Casey (lyrics). It is best known today as the theme song of the Harlem Globetrotters basketball team.