Gracie: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Gracie
Origin of the name Gracie:
Inspired by grace (eloquence or beauty of form, kindness, mercy, favor), which is derived from the Latin gratia (favor, thanks). The name was made popular by 17th-century Puritans, who bestowed it in reference to God's favor and love toward mankind.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Gracie? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Gracie
- Comments and insights on the name Gracie: | Edit
My daughter's legal first name is Gracie. Why name her Grace if I intend to call her Gracie? I have never once regretted naming her Gracie. I don't find it to be childish either.
It's too child-like and immature to be given as a full name. Choose Grace or Graciela and use Gracie as her nickname. She'll appreciate the choice when she is older.
I know a girl who goes by Gracie. Her full name is Marygrace.
This is much more dignified as a nickname for Grace.
Gracie seems the perpetual child. It's fine as a nickname for Grace, but once a child hits 10 years old, Gracie should be dropped for the more sophisticated, grown-up Grace. Gracie shouldn't be a full given name.
- Personal experiences with the name Gracie: | Edit
I've personally found the Gracies (and Graceys) to be only children, or long-awaited children. Thus, in general they are indulged by their parents - not necessarily spoiled, but they definitely have the best of everything, and have a ton of one-on-one time with their parents, so they are ahead of their counterparts when it comes to the learning curve.
My great-grandmother's name is Gracie and she is a strong, hard working woman. She considers other people before herself, writes poetry, is active in her town, and even though she has had a hard life, she has retained her faith in God.
My legal first name is Gracie and I am 20 years old. I always hated when anyone called me "Grace" and still do. I prefer Gracie, and I've never met another "Gracie" but many Graces. I love my name.
- Nicknames for Gracie: | Edit
Grace and Gray
- Meanings and history of the name Gracie: | Edit
Gracie is a diminutive of the name Grace.
- Famous real-life people named Gracie: | Edit
Gracie Allen, comedienne of early TV and wife of George Burns (Early TV's Burns and Allen)
Gracie McGraw, daughter of Faith Hill and Tim McGraw
- Gracie in song, story & screen: | Edit
Gracie Mansion (the mayor's mansion in New York City)
Gracie Hart, in the 2000 film Miss Congeniality and 2005 film Miss Congeniality 2.
Name Lists Featuring Gracie
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011