Grear Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Greer:
Transferred use fo the surname originating in the Middle Ages from a contraction of Gregor, a cognate of the Latin Gregorius (watchful, vigilant). The name became popular as a female name in the 20th century from its association with actress Greer Garson, who was given her mother's maiden name.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Grear? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Grear
Contribute your knowledge to the name Grear
- Comments and insights on the name Grear: | Edit
The "watchful" meaning is nice. But I prefer it spelt Greer as Grear is "rear" with "G" in front of it. And Greer reminds me of Greer Garson :)
- Personal experiences with the name Grear: | Edit
I have always been made fun of for the spelling of my name. Kids in my class call me rear. If you people are thinking about naming your daughter this, spell it Greer or Grier, not Grear.
- Nicknames for Grear: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Grear: | Edit
Watchful, alert, vigilant
- Famous real-life people named Grear: | Edit
- Grear in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!