Gwendolen Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Gwendolen:
English variant of the Welsh Gwendolen (fair-browed), a compound name composed of the elements gwen, gwyn (white, fair, blessed) and dolen (brows, eyebrows).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Gwendolen? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Gwendolen
Contribute your knowledge to the name Gwendolen
- Comments and insights on the name Gwendolen
- Personal experiences with the name Gwendolen
- Nicknames for Gwendolen
- Meanings and history of the name Gwendolen
- Famous real-life people named Gwendolen
- Gwendolen in song, story & screen
Gwendolen Harleth, in the 1876 George Eliot novel Daniel Deronda.
Gwendolen Fairfax, main character in Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest.