Gypsy Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Gypsy? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Gypsy
Contribute your knowledge to the name Gypsy
- Comments and insights on the name Gypsy: | Edit
This would be an odd name for a modern child. Especially since many Romany consider this to be an offensive and racist label.
- Personal experiences with the name Gypsy: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Gypsy: | Edit
Gyps, Gypso, Gypso-calipso, Gyp
- Meanings and history of the name Gypsy: | Edit
From the English word for the nomadic people who originated in Northern India (Romany). The word was originally a corruption of Egyptian, as they were once thought to have come from Egypt rather than India.
- Famous real-life people named Gypsy: | Edit
Gypsy Rose Lee, American actress and burlesque entertainer.
Gypsy Abbott, American silent film actress.
Gypsy Rose Blanchard, victim of her mother’s Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy and convicted of matricide
- Gypsy in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Gypsy" by Fleetwood Mac
Gypsy, a DC Comics superheroine.
Gypsy is one of the robots on "Mystery Science Theater 3000."
"Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves," song performed by Cher.