Hailey Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hayley:
Transferred use of a Northern English surname derived from Hale or Hales (residing in a nook, recess, or remote valley). It has also been suggested that Hayley derives from the place-name Hailey, which is composed of the Old English elements hēg (hay) and lēah (wood, clearing, meadow).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hailey? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hailey
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta) 2014
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta) for 2012
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan) for 2012
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2012
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hailey
- Comments and insights on the name Hailey: | Edit
I am a teacher and the past couple years I have had at least one Hailey in my class. Last year I had 3!
This name, in its various spellings, has seen some popularity in the Indian-American community, specifically among those of Gujarati descent, as there is a Gujarati word with the same pronunciation meaning "little wave."
- Personal experiences with the name Hailey: | Edit
My name is Hailey, and I kind of like it. I'm 15 now, but I find it hard to imagine a grown woman with that name. The older I get, the more I start hating it, but I do get a lot of compliments on it. There are 3 other Haileys in my grade, so it can get a bit confusing. There are also 2 Kaylees, and they sound a lot alike. When our teacher calls on 1 of us, she ends up with 5 confused kids all asking her,"Are you talking to me?" Overall, I think it's a cute, playful name, and I am pretty happy with it.
To the above: don't feel bad about a grown woman having the name; all little girls grow up to be grown women, and all grown women become old ladies if they live long enough. Someday Hailey will be an old lady's name and nobody will be naming their kids that any more.
- Nicknames for Hailey: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Hailey: | Edit
From the English place name and surname Hayley, meaning a hay field.
Hailey can also be linked to the Old English word "hæeþ" meaning hero or warrior.
- Famous real-life people named Hailey: | Edit
Hailey Clauson - American supermodel
- Hailey in song, story & screen: | Edit
Aquamarine (Book and Movie)
Hayley Smith, American Dad
"Lost in Reality" by 5 Seconds of Summer