Halley Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hallie:
Transferred use of the English surname meaning "dweller at the hall meadow." The name is derived from the Old English elements heall (hall, gathering place) and lēah (wood, meadow, clearing).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Halley? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Halley
Contribute your knowledge to the name Halley
- Comments and insights on the name Halley: | Edit
An alternative spelling of Halle/Hallie
- Personal experiences with the name Halley: | Edit
Our daughter is named Halley after Sir Edmund Halley who discovered Halley's Comet. No one pronouces it correctly. The "a" is a short "a" and people always pronouce it with a long "a" sound as in Hailey. Drives us nuts. It is not Hailey's Comet.
* I too was named after the famous comet but we do actually pronounce it as Hailey.
People never spell it right lol, but I love my name. And it definenately suits my one of a kind personality
- Nicknames for Halley: | Edit
Hal, hails, halleykinz, hay, hay hay
- Meanings and history of the name Halley: | Edit
Halley started as a surname meaning "dweller at the hall meadow."
- Famous real-life people named Halley: | Edit
Sir Edmund Halley
- Halley in song, story & screen: | Edit
Halley Wolowitz, baby daughter of Howard Wolowitz and Bernadette Rostenkowski on the television series, "The Big Bang Theory". She was named after Halley's comet because her father had gone into space.
Someone Like You - Sarah Dessen - Main character is called Halley.
"Halley Came to Jackson" - A song about comet Halley.