Halley Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hallie:
Transferred use of the English surname meaning "dweller at the hall meadow." The name is derived from the Old English elements heall (hall, gathering place) and lēah (wood, meadow, clearing).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Halley? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Halley
Contribute your knowledge to the name Halley
- Comments and insights on the name Halley: | Edit
An alternative soelling of Halle/Hallie
- Personal experiences with the name Halley: | Edit
Our daughter is named Halley after Sir Edmund Halley who discovered Halley's Comet. No one pronouces it correctly. The "a" is a short "a" and people always pronouce it with a long "a" sound as in Hailey. Drives us nuts. It is not Hailey's Comet.
- Nicknames for Halley: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Halley: | Edit
Halley started as a surname meaning "dweller at the hall meadow."
- Famous real-life people named Halley: | Edit
Sir Edmund Halley
- Halley in song, story & screen: | Edit
Someone Like You - Sarah Dessen - Main character is called Halley