Harper: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Harper
Origin of the name Harper:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Middle English harp (a harp), which arose as an occupational name for a harp player.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Harper? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Harper
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Harper
- Comments and insights on the name Harper: | Edit
Harper is a a strong 'business-like" name. It rolls of the tongue harshly and is unisex. I liked it until I actually SAID it aloud.
I know that what people are going for with the girl's name Harper is often a throw back to Harper Lee, author of To Kill A Mockingbird. As someone who loves that book, I love the reference. However, if you plan on bringing your little Harper to Canada, you should know that the current Prime Minister of Canada is Stephen Harper. And 99/100 people you talk to will think PM before they think TKAM. Something you might want to consider if you plan to spend a lot of time north of the border. Harper isn't a terrible PM, but there's a reason there is such a long gap between a president's (or prime minister's) reign and when their name starts being fashionable.
- Personal experiences with the name Harper: | Edit
I'm the mother of a 2006 Harper... thought it was going to be one of a kind... not quite... in her pre-school class of ten, she was one of two... and one of five across the entire preschool consisting of a population of 80... I was in disbelief.
- Nicknames for Harper: | Edit
Harpsichord, Harpie, Harp, Harps, Harpsers, Harpser, Doodle, Harp Harp, Har Har,
- Meanings and history of the name Harper: | Edit
- Famous real-life people named Harper: | Edit
Harper Lee - American author
Paul Simon's son is named Harper.
Harry Potter producer David Heyman's son is named Harper
Harper Seven Beckham- David & Victoria Beckham's only daughter
Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka's daughter Harper Grace
Tiffani Thiessen's daughter, Harper Renn
E.D nurse in New Zealand soap opera, Shortland Street- Harper Whitley
- Harper in song, story & screen: | Edit
Harper is the name of the Mormon wife in the play Angels in America.
Harper is the name of Jennifer Stone's character on the Disney Channel's "Wizards of Waverly Place"
Harper's Island was a miniseries on CBS in 2009.
Harper was played by Paul Newman in the film of the same name.