Hayley Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hayley:
Transferred use of a Northern English surname derived from Hale or Hales (residing in a nook, recess, or remote valley). It has also been suggested that Hayley derives from the place-name Hailey, which is composed of the Old English elements hēg (hay) and lēah (wood, clearing, meadow).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hayley? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hayley
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) 2014
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Western)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Queensland)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hayley
- Comments and insights on the name Hayley: | Edit
My name is Hayley I was born in '92 and I was named after Hayley Mills also. People often do not know how to spell my name. My best friend for 3 years didn't even know how to spell it, pretty sad... and my nicknames are Halo, Hay, HayHay.
- Personal experiences with the name Hayley: | Edit
My name is Hayley and I was born in 1985. My mother named me after something that was found in the ocean and was later called Hayley. When I was younger I really didn't love my name. I love it now! I never met another Hayley until I was 14, she was 2 and spelled her name differently.(I was her babysitter) My name is often spelled incorrectly, my great grandmother was notorious for spelling it many ways lol I love having the 2 y's in my name. My nicknames include: Hay Hay, Hal, Hayla, Haze & Lee Lee
I'm Hayley and was born in '89, so I don't meet many Hayley's my age. I love my name and how it is spelled. No matter how you spell it, 'your Hayley' will probably be spelled wrong all the time, but it's okay. My mom named me after the actress Hayley Mills. Most people call me Hay or Hayles and I love that.
My name is also Hayley and I really love it! I was named after the actress Hayley Mills as well. I was born in '94 and know only one other Hayley spelled the same was as me, although my name is often spelled wrong I don't mind. People call me Hayls, or Hay usually.
Grew up with a Hayley and loved it, named my daughter Mahalia (a family name), but she goes by Hayley. Even though a different spelling would probably fit better, it has to be Hayley because of my friend. Every other way just seems wrong!
My name is Hayley..... I was born in '88...I find I meet so many younger people with the name! It's so popular now! I do like it, although I always felt it was unsuitable for an adult. Guess I have to live with it! My nicknames include Hayles, Hayl, and Bayley is my evil alter ego....Hee hee.....
My name is Hayley, born in 1976. Named after Hayley Mills. Nicknames are Hales, Hayseed, Hay.
My name is Hayley, I was named after Hayley Mills, My dad calls me Hayleyboo, I don't know why. I have two other girls in my grade named Hayley, it's a very common name. When other people spell my name they always ask or spell it Haylee, Haylie,Haley, Hailee. I also have a firend named Kaylee.
My name is also Hayley, I was born in '94, and I was named after Kelly Ripa's character on All My Children Hayley Vaughan. I never met another Hayley until I was in high school, and by now I think I've met a total of three other Hayley's. My nicknames have been Hay, HayHay, Hayles, Haze, and Hayley Bayley which the last one only my mom has called me. Also people always try to spell my name Hailey or Haley.
- Nicknames for Hayley: | Edit
Hailes, H, Hay, HayHay, Hay's, Hay Bay, Haze, Hazel, Hail, Hayley Bayley, Hayhay Baybay, Hayleyboo, Straw
- Meanings and history of the name Hayley: | Edit
Pretty sure it's anglo saxon and means hay-meadow.
- Famous real-life people named Hayley: | Edit
Hayley Williams, lead singer of the band Paramore
Hayley Westenra, classical singer
Hayley Mills, English actress
Hayley Atwell, English actress
Hayley LeBlanc, YouTube (Bratayley) and Dancer
- Hayley in song, story & screen: | Edit
Hayley Smith, character on "American Dad!"
Hayley Vaughan, character on "All My Children"
Hayley marshall,character on "The Vampire Diaries" and "The Originals"