Hedwig Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hedwig? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hedwig
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hedwig
- Comments and insights on the name Hedwig: | Edit
French form: Edwige
Italian form: Edvige
Polish and Russian form: Jadwiga
Scandinavian form: Hedvig
Slovak form: Hedviga
Czech and Slovene form: Hedvika
Lithuanian form: Jadvyga
- Personal experiences with the name Hedwig: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Hedwig: | Edit
Hedi, Hede, Heddy, Iga, Jadzia (Polish)
- Meanings and history of the name Hedwig: | Edit
Hedwig means "fighter" in Old German.
- Famous real-life people named Hedwig: | Edit
St. Hedwig of Silesia
Hedwig of Saxony, mother of Hugh Capet, first King of France
Hedwig Courths-Mahler, German romance novelist (born Ernestine Friederike Mahler)
Hedy Lamarr, Austrian-born American actress
- Hedwig in song, story & screen: | Edit
Hedwig, Harry Potter's owl and messenger, in the Harry Potter series.
Hedwig, transsexual protagonist of the off-Broadway musical and film "Hedwig and the Angry Inch".