Helena: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Helena
Origin of the name Helena:
Cognate of the Greek Helenē, which is derived from the root ēlē (light, torch, bright). The name is borne in Greek legend by the beautiful wife of the king of Sparta. Her abduction by the Trojan prince Paris sparked off the Trojan War.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Helena? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Helena
- Comments and insights on the name Helena: | Edit
I named my daughter Helayna when she was born in 2006. I spelled it that way so it would be pronounced that way not like 'Helen-ah'. We sometimes call her Layna or Laney for short. I think it's a really beautiful name and not overused.
- Personal experiences with the name Helena: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Helena: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Helena: | Edit
Latinate form of HELEN.
Derived from the Greek ‘Ελενη (Helene), probably from Greek ‘ελενη (helene) "torch" or "corposant", or possibly related to σεληνη (selene) "moon". In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War.
The name was also borne by the 4th-century Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem.
The name was originally used among early Christians in honour of the saint, as opposed to the classical character. In England it was commonly spelled Ellen during the Middle Ages, and the spelling Helen was not regularly used until after the Renaissance.
- Famous real-life people named Helena: | Edit
Helena Bonham-Carter, actress
Helena Christensen, model
Helena Norberg-Hodge, linguist and writer
Helena Grace Rutherford Giersch (b. 2009), daughter of American actress Kelly Rutherford
- Helena in song, story & screen: | Edit
Helena (1950 novel), by Evelyn Waugh
"Helena Justina," love interest/heroine in the Falco books by Lindsay Davis
"Helena," Song by My Chemical Romance
Helena is a small girl's name in a book I read called 'The Riddle Of Raven's Gulch'.
Helena Wayne / Helena Bertinelli, "The Huntress," of DC Comics, the daughter of Bruce Wayne, the latter, an ally of Batman (Bruce Wayne)
"Helena", song by The Misfits
"Helena", song by Nickel Creek
Helena Douglass from Dead Or Alive series
Helana is a main character in Shakespeare's "A Midsummer's Nights Dream."
Name Lists Featuring Helena
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders)
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal