Holly: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Holly
Origin of the name Holly:
Taken from the name of the holly tree, an evergreen whose stiff, glossy, sharp-pointed leaves and clusters of red berries are used in Christmas decorations. The name is derived from the Old English holegn (to prick).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Holly? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Holly
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
Contribute your knowledge to the name Holly
- Comments and insights on the name Holly: | Edit
Often bestowed upon girls born around Christmas.
My name is Holly, I was born in July.
I know a few Hollys and they are very strong, smart, warm-hearted women.
Holly is a sweet, pretty name
Holly is a low-life scoundrel towards society, thriving off of the innocence of baby cows.
- Personal experiences with the name Holly: | Edit
I have a cousin named Holly, born in 1998. She was born very near Christmas, so it suits her just right.
My best friend has a two year old named Holly. She is pretty, sweet and fun just like her name. She was born in the month of June, which I thought was kind of funny but whatever works!
One of my best friends name is Holly. It suits her kind, sweet, caring personality
- Nicknames for Holly: | Edit
Hol, HolBol, Holz, Hulet, Olly, Holiday, Prickly Bush
- Meanings and history of the name Holly: | Edit
From the plant, which has shiny dark green leaves and red berries. Hollyhocks are a flowering plant.
- Famous real-life people named Holly: | Edit
Holly Marie Combs - American actress
Holly Robinson Peete - American actress
Holly Hunter - American actress
Holly Hagan- British reality star/singer
- Holly in song, story & screen: | Edit
"The Holly and the Ivy" is a traditional Christmas carol
Holly Hobbie, eponymous character designed by the children's book illustrator and author (born Denise Holly Ulinskas)
Holly Golightly, main character from the novel and film Breakfast at Tiffany's (Audrey Hebpurn played the character in the movie). Holly Golightly is also the name of a contemporary singer with a '60s sound.
Blink 182 uses the name in two songs -- "Easy Target" and "All of This"
"Holly (Would You Turn Me On?)", song by All Time Low
Holly Flax, a character from the US television series "The Office"
Holly Hollister, a little girl in the 1960s children's mystery series "The Happy Hollisters"
The Hollies, 1960s rock band famous for the song "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress"
Holly Tyler is a character on the TV show "What I Like About You" played by Amanda Bynes.
Holly Kennedy, protagonist in Cecilia Ahern's novel "P.S. I Love You" and the movie based off of the novel.
The Hollies, a British music group
Holly, a film made in 2006.
Holly Short is a character in the Artemis Fowl book series.
Holly Willoughby, English television presenter.
Holly White, infant child of Walter White in the AMC TV series "Breaking Bad".
Holly J Sinclair, a former character on Canadian television show "Degrassi".