Hunter Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Hunter:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Middle English hunte (a hunter, a huntsman). Short: Hunt.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hunter? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hunter
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hunter
- Comments and insights on the name Hunter: | Edit
Definitely a masculine name. Nice for a boy
As a girl with the name Hunter, I'll admit I do no love it, but it is unique for a girl.
- Personal experiences with the name Hunter: | Edit
-My name is Hunter and I'm a girl. It's not something common, which makes it that much more interesting to have.
Years ago I saw a bulletin for the Junior League, a rich woman's club, and there was a lady listed named Hunter Harrison. I thought that name was so cool! But only a well-to-do lady with sophistication oozing from every pore can pull it off.
- Nicknames for Hunter: | Edit
Hunty, Hunny, Hun
- Meanings and history of the name Hunter: | Edit
strong, fighter, huntress, warrior, empress
- Famous real-life people named Hunter: | Edit
- Hunter in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!