Hypatia Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Hypatia? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Hypatia
Contribute your knowledge to the name Hypatia
- Comments and insights on the name Hypatia: | Edit
An ancient Greek name, pronounced Hi-pah-sha.
- Personal experiences with the name Hypatia: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Hypatia: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Hypatia: | Edit
Greek name derived from the word hypatos ("highest, supreme"). Strongly associated with Hypatia of Alexandria, the name has also been used for a genus of moth, a lunar crater, an asteroid, a journal of feminist philosophy, an institute for women scientists, a gathering place for freethinkers, and more.
Pronounced Hi-pah-sha or sometimes Hi-peh-sha.
- Famous real-life people named Hypatia: | Edit
Hypatia of Alexandria, a Greek scholar born in the fourth century AD, is considered the first female mathematician. A Neoplatonist philosopher known for her virtue, she was ultimately killed by angry religious fanatics.
- Hypatia in song, story & screen: | Edit
The film “AGORA” is about the life and times of the philosopher Hypatia of Alexandria.