Isobel Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Isabel:
A Spanish variant of Elizabeth, which is from the Hebrew elīsheba' (God is my oath).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Isobel? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Isobel
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales (2013)
- Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Wales, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Isobel
- Comments and insights on the name Isobel: | Edit
Isobel actually did rank in the top 1000 nationwide in the early 1900's.
- Personal experiences with the name Isobel: | Edit
Is "Isobel" the standard spelling of "Isabel" in the UK? SOmeone we know there ALWAYS spells our daughter's name this way.
No it is not the standard spelling (I should know, it's my name) I would guess that the person you referred to is more familiar with this spelling so assumes it is the correct one. God knows I've been called Isabelle enough times
I live in England and I automatically spell it in Isabelle or Isobel, although Isabelle seems a bit more common.
I have heard it's a Scottish spelling.
Its a Scottish spelling
My grandmother used this spelling for her daughter so people would not ask her, "Is-a-bell necessary on a bicycle?"
My Dad said that ^ when I said I liked Isabella as a name! Perhaps Izz-O-bell would counteract this ridiculous old-timer saying…
- Nicknames for Isobel: | Edit
Ib (Rhymes with Eve)
- Meanings and history of the name Isobel: | Edit
Isobel is the Scottish form of Isabel, a Spanish variant of Elizabeth meaning "God is my oath".
- Famous real-life people named Isobel: | Edit
Isobel of Huntingdon, Scottish princess and ancestor of Robert the Bruce, king of Scotland.
Isobel Campbell, Scottish singer, composer, and cellist.
Isobel Miller Kuhn, missionary
Isobelle Carmody, Australian science-fiction writer
Isobel Bird, American author
Isobel Hawking Stephen Hawking's mom
- Isobel in song, story & screen: | Edit
Isobel Crawley, character on TV series "Downton Abbey"
Dr. Isobel Katherine Stevens, character on TV show "Grey's Anatomy"
The wonderful Bjork song, "Isobel
Isobel Granger from "a Little princess", she's only mentioned once but still
Isobel Martin, character from the novel "The Night Circus."