Jade: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Jade
Origin of the name Jade:
Taken from the name of the hard green or white jadeite or nephrite stone. The word came to England, via the French, from the Spanish piedra de ijada (stone of the side: from the belief that it cured pains in the side).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jade? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jade
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jade
- Comments and insights on the name Jade: | Edit
Jade is not common in Africa where I'm from but when I moved to Australia it's soooo common, like Jane. My dad put a lot of thought into my name as I'm Jade Elizabeth M making my initial JEM and two friend liked that so much they named their kids after me. The thing that blew my mind is that Aussie call boys Jade too.
I have a beautiful daughter named Jade. We get a lot of compliments on her name, but people often think we are saying Jaden when we tell them her name. Its annoying since Jaden is such an ugly name for a little girl.
I once met a little girl whos name was Jade Turquoise Sapphire. Poor thing.
In one name book, Jade was defined as "precious gem" and "priceless one." I named my daughter Jade and she's been really happy with it. She rarely meets another Jade. And people tell her her name is cool. I'm SO glad she's happy with it.
- Personal experiences with the name Jade: | Edit
I'm Jade, it's a family thing as my mom is Amber, my sister is Topaz, her unborn daughter she plans to name Ruby and my daughter is Sapphire and niece is Amethyst... What can I say...? We are a family of gems.
I am a Jade. I've only ever run into one or two people in my life with the same name so I have never had to worry about someone getting me confused with someone else like my other friends.
My little cousin is called Jade and she's the most adorable thing, I love her name. My best friend is also called Jade and pun intended, she's a gem!
- Nicknames for Jade: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Jade: | Edit
In China Jade is the most precious material in the world more precious than gold. It is thought to be the ultimate in beautiful stones. Also revered by the Incas as a stone of the gods.
- Famous real-life people named Jade: | Edit
Jade Jagger, jewelry designer
Jade Goody, reality television celebrity
Jade Barbosa, Olympic gymnast
Jade Thirlwall, British singer in the girl band Little Mix
- Jade in song, story & screen: | Edit
Jade Butterfield, heroine of the book and movie "Endless Love" by Scott Spencer
Jade Redfern, a vampire from the 2nd book of the Night World series "Daughters of Darkness" by L.J. Smith
Jade West, character from Victorious
Jade from the childrens TV show "Victorious"