Jessica: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Jessica
Origin of the name Jessica:
Of uncertain derivation and meaning, Jessica might be an elaboration of Jessie, which was originally a pet form of Janet and Jean. Alternatively, it can be interpreted as an elaborated feminine form of Jesse, which is derived from the Hebrew yīshai (gift).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jessica? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jessica
- Comments and insights on the name Jessica: | Edit
I don't mind the name but I think it's far to common. I literally know 11 people with the name Jessica.
- Personal experiences with the name Jessica: | Edit
I had a wife named Jessica. She was a beautiful blond, and she was so funny. The name Jessica brings up such good, and such bad memories. It's a really beautiful name, and I love it.
My name is Jessica. I think it's pretty, but it's just SO POPULAR. I know/have known of so many Jessica's throughout my life. I've also been told that I don't really look like a Jessica cause it seems to be associated with blonde bimbos far too often. (Maybe because of Jessica Simpson? Thanks a lot, girl.) I also find that so many people who don't even know me just automatically shorten it to Jess without my permission, which I don't like as much. Basically, the name Jessica was a good idea at one point. So good that everyone decided to hop aboard that boat, and now the boat is sinking. Not a good idea anymore. Don't do it.
- Nicknames for Jessica: | Edit
Jay, JC, Jessie/Jessy, Jess/Jez, Essika, Yesiska, Jessita, Jessa, Jazzy, Jezebel,Jees, Jeesica, Jezza, JJ, Jezzy, Cassie, Callie, Ci-Ci, Essie, Sissy, Sassy, Birdie (Jay Bird), Jessie, Alphus, Simple J, Frankenfurter
- Meanings and history of the name Jessica: | Edit
This name was first used in this form by Shakespeare in his play 'The Merchant of Venice' (1596), where it belongs to the daughter of Shylock. Shakespeare probably based it on the biblical name ISCAH which would have been spelled Jesca in his time. Popular in the late 1800s, it returned to popularity in the late 1960s. http://www.behindthename.com/name/jessica
From the Hebrew Yiskah meaning "to see or look." It is explained by Hebrew scholars as another name for Sarai/Sarah, who was recognized for her great beauty and also the gift of prophesy. http://www.breslev.co.il/articles/torah_portion/chanas_blessing/yiskah.a...
Alternatively, a pet form of Janet from Hebrew Yohannah meaning "Grace of God" or feminine of Jesse from Hebrew Yishai meaning "God exists" or "God's gift."
- Famous real-life people named Jessica: | Edit
Jessica Cornish (Jessie J), British singer
Jessica Abel, American comic book writer and artist
Jessica Alba, American actress
Jessica Biel, American actress
Jessica Capshaw, American Actress
Jessica Fodera, American rock singer-songwriter
Jessica Marais, Australian Actress
Jessica McClure, 18 month old who was trapped in a well for over two days in 1987
Jessica Hart, Australian Model
Jessica Rowe, Australian News reader
Jessica Gomes, Australian model
Jessica Harp, American country singer-songwriter and guitarist
Jessica Jung , American pop singer, member of Girls Generation
Jessica Lange, American actress
Jessica Lowndes, Canadian actress and singer-songwriter
Jessica Ennis, British Olympic Champion in the 2012 heptathlon.
Jessica Mauboy, Australian singer
Jessica Origliasso, Australian musician, member of The Veronicas
Jessica Mitford, British writer.
Jessica Simpson, American pop singer and actress
Jessica Stroup, American actress and model
Jessica Sutta, American dancer and singer, member of Pussycat Dolls
Jessica Szohr, American actress
Jessica Tandy, English-American actress
Jessica Walter, American actress
- Jessica in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Jessica", song by Graham Colton Band
"Jessica", song by the Allman Brothers
"Jessica", song by Dir en Grey
"Jessica", song by Ray Dylan (Afrikaans singer, South African)
"Asking Jessica to Be Official", song by hellogoodbye
"We Made You" Song By Eminem
Jessica Lovejoy, character on "The Simpsons"
Mambo No. 5 - Jessica said in lyrics
Jeshika of Familiar of Zero
Jessica of the 1971 cult horror film Let's Scare Jessica to Death, portrayed by actress Zohra Lampert
Jessica 6, was the leading lady in the movie Logan's Run
Jessica Albert, from the Dragon Quest VIII video game
Lady Jessica, from Frank Herbert's Dune universe
Jessica Bennett, from the soap opera Passions
Jessica Buchanan, from the soap opera One Life to Live
Jessica Drew, the original Spider Woman
Jessica Fletcher, a novelist and the protagonist of Murder, She Wrote
Jessica Jones, from the Marvel Comics series Alias
Jessica Rabbit, from Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Jessica "Jessi" Ramsey from The Baby-Sitters Club book series
Jessica Sanders of the television series Heroes
Jessica "Jessie" Spano from the television series Saved by the Bell
Jessica Wakefield from the Sweet Valley book series
Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
Jesse by Carly Simon
Jessica Darling, protagonist in the "Sloppy Firsts" series by Megan McCafferty
The name Jessica appears in the following children's singalong song:
"Jessica, Jessica Bo Bessica
Banana Fanna Fo Fessica
Me My Mo Messica
Name Lists Featuring Jessica
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal