Jordan Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Jordan:
Derived from the Hebrew yarden (to flow down, descend). The name was originally used in the Middle Ages for a child baptized in holy water said to be from the river Jordan.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Jordan? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Jordan
Contribute your knowledge to the name Jordan
- Comments and insights on the name Jordan: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Jordan: | Edit
Jordan is awesome and has a beautiful personality.
- Nicknames for Jordan: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Jordan: | Edit
The name is Hebrew in origin, and means "descending."
- Famous real-life people named Jordan: | Edit
Jordin Sparks, American Idol winner
Jordan, alter ego of British glamour model Katie Price.
Michael JORDAN, American basketballer.
Jordan Todosey, a Canadian actress know for her roles on "Life with Derek" and "Degrassi"
- Jordan in song, story & screen: | Edit
Jordan Baker from The Great Gatsby.
Jordan Cavanagh, title character on the TV series "Crossing Jordan."
Jordan Mooney from Cocktail (1988)